The Eternal Maker Crafts

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Stash busting Bandana Bibs - Tutorial

It's always about this time of year that for some reason all the projects I start seem to be baby related.  I don't have a baby of my own (and at this moment in time, I'm pretty good with that, too), but as I type this two of my best friends and my brother are having babies. (Not my brother personally, of course, but you know what I mean.)  So at least I have people to make all my baby projects for.
And why do I love baby projects?  So many reasons.  The first being that they are usually very quick.  I'm all about the quick.  I don't have the time or patience for a quilt that takes years.  Give me a weekend project and I'm in.  Number 2 reason - things are usually pretty small so don't take much in the way of supplies.  They're often good stash busters.  Number 3 reason - well, it's all just so very cute, isn't it?  I could go on, but I won't.
So this project here is a super simple bib.  You can run multiples of these up in an hour.  Now that's my type of project!  It's one of those projects that uses up small amounts of fabric.  Those small amounts you have sat at home that aren't really big enough for much else but they're still big enough not to throw away - you all know what I'm talking about.  A fat quarter will be enough for 3 or 4 of these.

You will need:

30x30cm print fabric.  We used double gauzes and jerseys for extra added softness, but any craft cotton will also do.
30x30cm terry cloth - such as this
Poppers/ Snap fasteners - you will need 2 of 1 side and 1 of the other, so 3 full sets will do 2 bibs.
This template

So here's how:

1. Using the template - cut out 1 triangle of patterned fabric and one of terry, and lay them right sides facing each other.  Pin all around.  It's a good idea to over pin when using stretch fabrics, or fabrics with a loose weave.
2. Sew around the edge using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Leave a 2" gap for turning. 
3. Once you've sewn, turn the right way out through the turning gap.   Once you've done this, poke all the corners out properly, so they're nice and rounded.  Then pin all around the edge again.  This will help sew it up, and stop one side bagging as you sew.  Topstitch all around the edge, catching your turning gap in your stitches.

4. Sewing on your poppers.  Sew one side of a popper to one side on the patterned fabric side of your bib.   On the other side of the bib, sew 2 other sides of popper to the terry cloth side.  Position them about an inch apart.  These two poppers will give you a little ease for sizing.  Make sure to secure these firmly as hopefully it will be used a lot!

 
 5.  Repeat and make lots more!  A stash of these little dribble bibs makes useful on hand presents.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home